Wednesday, June 16, 2010

To Sleep perchance to Dream....


I've devoted most of my life to providing anesthesia to those having various surgical, as well as other pain-producing procedures. I am, by profession, a CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist) and in case this is the first time you are hearing that term, be informed that our kind were the first grouping of licensed, trained professionals to give anesthesia in the US. CRNAs are Registered Nurses with a bachelor's degree and additional training in anesthesia which currently leads to a Master's degree. There is a move on currently to require nurse anesthetists to have the DNP (Doctor of Nursing Practice) degree.

CRNAs are a proud bunch; indeed, we enjoy taking care of our patients. The specialty is unique in that we must strive to foster a trusting relationship with those in our care in a very short amount of time. We see all levels of fear and every different way there is to exhibit fear. Our mission is to quell that fear as best we can, instill trust, and safely deliver an effective anesthetic. My career is very rewarding to me and I love what I do. So the next time you see those initials: CRNA, you'll know what it means!

No comments:

Post a Comment