Saturday, July 31, 2010

Busy, busy, busy

So I haven't posted for a while---July has turned out to be a fairly busy month, Tour-de-Fleece aside (I'll get to that later). We started the month off with a visit from my dear friend Barbara and her two children. I barely made it home in time from a Lions event that I cut out early on to greet her and Emily and Dan. We immediately made our way to our favorite Antiques store (The Antique Mall in Quechee, VT---if you're in the area, it's worth the trip!) to prowl around there. We picked up a few items, tasted some chesse and then went to the Harpoon Brewery for dinner. I think our dogs were a hit with Dan as he spent lots of time with them and asking questions about them!

After their visit, we helped our friends bring in the hay---sheep in Vermont need to be fed about 7-8 months out of the year---and so, summer months are spent cutting, raking, tetting, baling, and storing hay. It was a particular joy this year as we have had quite some humidity which makes even getting near the hay less than desirable.

On Saturday, July 10th, I went to the ChainLink (CGOA) conference in Manchester, NH. It was fabulous! First off, I ran into Doris Chan (one of my favorite crochet designers) and she graciously signed a copy of "Crochet Lace Innovations" for me which has a design that I'm crocheting right now. Well, no better place than a convention to get inspiration for your craft. I took a class on crocheting Bruges lace with a lovely lady, Susan Lowman from Arizona. Check out her site: Susan@theCrochetArchitect.com. I'll have to post pictures of the lace I've made in the next post. Of course, I bought some yarn (for Chan pattern) from The Elegant Ewe of Concord, NH---they also have a website and they are really nice!

I've been busily trying to find a new venue for our knitting/crochet/fiber group here in Windsor, VT. It's taken a bit of back and forth, but we will be meeting at a very nice community room every other Thursday evenings. These changes have finally forced me to hone in on a name for our group and the group has decided upon the Mt. Ascutney Fiber Arts Group.

My last bit of news to report is that my spinning wheel has been extremely lonely this month---yes, I've failed miserably at the 'Tour-de-Fleece!' As a matter of fact, I didn't ever really get started on my batt (It's Complicated) although, I certainly can use the name of the batt to explain my July. I started a new part-time job as an anesthetist for an ambulatory surgery center (2 days a week) as well as maintaining my other part-time job (2 days a week) for a gastroenterologist. The good news is that with the drop in humidity around here, it actually feels like weather for spinning. It's difficult to motivate oneself to spin WOOL when it's 95 degrees out and 60% humidity!

Stay tuned, I'm hoping to get 'It's Complicated' up and running------for now, I'm going to go do some laundry (our dryer was just fixed yesterday after being down for 3 weeks)!

No comments:

Post a Comment